Have you ever woken up one morning and just felt a total lack of motivation to get out of your warm comfy bed and into the frigid morning air? Most of us have, and it is something I personally abhor. So here are 5 tips on how to overcome the winter drag, which will hopefully brighten it into a winter bash.
1. “Jump-it!” Wintertime is the best time to challenge your self-motivation skills. It is hardest to get out of bed if your brain keeps making deals with your body that it will get up in 5 minutes – 10 times. So one of the best ways to save yourself from a moody morning is to simply “jump-it” and jump right up out of bed when you first said you would. Don’t believe me? Try it out!
2. Wear extra-cozy, fluffy socks. There is an old German saying (translated): “Feet warm and head cold, then you will grow old.” This means that if you want to live to 100, one good habit would be to keep your feet warm and dry at all times – your body will certainly thank you for it.
3. Feed your soul – with hot liquid gold. Everyone has their favorite golden beverage – tea, coffee, hot cocoa, cider, or even soups for that matter. In this dry and cold season, your dry body will certainly soak up the “liquid gold” you feed it and your mood and spirits will be lifted. It is especially soothing to have such a drink in the early morning after you wake up or close to bedtime by the fireplace.
4. Stock up on Vitamin C. The cold often exposes the immune system to weakness; thus, taking Vitamin C supplements (even as a fizzy drink!) will boost and strengthen it. The next time you go out shopping all day and come home shivering, your immune system will then be much better protected from a potential cold – and you will have prevented a miserable situation.
5. Get out of the house! It’s easy to stay inside all day when it’s cold and gray– with all the stuffy stale air. Poor body! And if your body is doing poorly, so will your mood, most likely. Even stepping outside for a few moments and taking in the fresh new day’s limitless oxygen-packed air will perk up your spirits. Take a step further and get together with some friends at a coffee shop and nourish your soul with fresh air, laughs and coffee!
And remember, one huge plus to the cold of winter is that it brings us together… whether it’s because you just wanted to get warm or you wanted to slow life down a bit and catch up with yourself and your loved ones.
The above article was written by Tanya Selle.