Happiness as a lifestyle is a choice; not every situation will make you happy, but you have to choose to stay happy. Maintaining a relatively happy lifestyle is something that will help to improve your overall well-being. Here are a few things you’ll want to make sure you do to keep yourself happy.
1) Make the Choice to be Happy: Everyone deserves to be happy. Whether or not they actually are happy is up to them. A main component to living a happy life is to be the best person you can be. The happiness that can come with some of life's situations is often momentarily, but if you want to live a happy life you have to make the choice to and find ways to make it happen.
2) Take Charge but Eliminate the Stress: Not everything will be within your control. Therefore, there’s no need to stress yourself out over things that you have no control over. They will be what they are regardless of how you feel about it. Rather, set your focus on things that you have control over, and make the best of it.
3) Live in the Moment: Don’t find yourself dwelling in the past. Some of us let too much of our past control our present. Things will happen, that’s life. But that has nothing to do with your present or your future; only you are in charge of those. Another thing you want to avoid is being over consumed by what you want in your future that you neglect to see all that you have today.
4) Keep Your Expectations High: “So you think, as you are.” You’ll come to find that this saying is really true. May times when we already expect a situation to turn out bad, it does. If you expect the best, it will usually happen.
5) Be Confident in Yourself: Others may not see your dreams the way you see them. And keep in mind that people will speak to you from where they are in life; their successes, their failures, their hurts, etc. So make sure you take on their perspective before taking all of their advice. Some things you’ll find you will need, and others you won’t. But never doubt yourself and your dreams because of someone else.
6) Give Yourself Permission to be All You Can Be: Some of us may not realize it, but we are usually the very ones telling ourselves we can’t do something because we’re not capable of it for whatever reason (or excuse, rather). Not realizing that you’ll never know all you can be if you never give yourself the permission to explore those things. You’d be surprised what you could achieve if you actually went for it.
7) Never Take Anything for Granted: Sounds cliché, but it’s true. We get used to seeing the same things every day, interacting with the same people, having the same commodities that we’re used to having, not realizing how easily we can take these things for granted. There is always someone doing worse off than you. Focus on what you have already, not on what you wish you had. You’ll find true joy in that.
8) Be Generous in All You Do: Giving generously (not just material things, but time as well) can go farther than you’d even realize. Set some time aside to spend with a friend, volunteer at a homeless shelter, buy a gift for a family member. It will be very much appreciated, and you’ll feel really good about yourself.
9) Don’t Stop!: Make sure you are putting forth an effort to maintain this lifestyle. As I said before, happiness is a choice. Make sure you don’t give up and chose the more complacent lifestyle, as you’ll be sacrificing your happiness.
10) Be Brave: Push yourself out of your comfort zone and try something new every now and then. You will never know what you enjoy until you’ve tried it. In addition to this, make sure you’re always doing what's best for you, even if it’s not easy!